I was in the mood for some comfort food, and was craving chicken carbonara for some reason. I’ve only had chicken carbonara once at Buca Di Beppo and I loved it! I wanted to recreate it, and this recipe did the trick. It’s a tasty, filling meal and perfect for a big group. It’s also great for freezing!
This is what you’ll need:
- 2 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream(sub fat free half and half for light option)
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 4 oz prosciutto(or to taste, we used 6 oz)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 lb spaghetti(we used veggie pasta)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- salt/pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs , egg yolks, cream, parmesan, lemon zest and parsley. Set aside.
- Cook spaghetti as directed on package and drain.
- Heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add prosciutto, garlic and saute, stirring occasionally, until fat renders. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp of remaining olive oil in pan, add chicken, salt and pepper and stir fry over medium heat until chicken is cooked through, about 7 min. Next, add prosciutto, egg/cream mixture, and peas and stir over medium/low heat for about 3-4 min. Don’t boil.
- Pour meat/sauce over noodles and sprinkle salt/pepper and parmesan cheese to taste.