A lot has happened since my last house update so I thought it would be fun to play catch up!
The old house
In my last update, I left off with our completed todo list, and shared on instagram that our house was officially on the market!
The house went live on 6/12 around 5:00 pm. We showed the house while we were out of town in Costa Rica, which worked out really well! It’s very hard to keep a house show ready when you have two dogs.
Before we knew it, it was Tuesday 6/16 and we had 4 offers on the house. Our realtor worked with us while we were out of the country by giving us advice over the phone, issuing docusign contracts so we could legally sign documents online and worked with our buyer, which was such a blessing. With a little bit of negotiating, and a few back and forths, we were under contract within 4 days! It was amazing! There was definitely some celebratory cocktails had while we were in Costa Rica!
Once we got back in town, the house hunt was officially on! We knew that we’d need to find a house quick, but didn’t want to feel like we were settling or making an impulse decision. We have been searching MLS like hawks for weeks and finally put a little list together to go check out some of our favorite houses.
The new house
Some things you should know about the requirements that we both wanted for our new house:
- Good school district
- Updated house
- A big yard with lots of trees
- No master planned community
- Still be in Austin
- 2000-2500 sqft
- Smoker friendly* (…as in Scott would be able to store the smoker in the backyard. He says this wasn’t a requirement, but I’m not buying it!)
We saw 5 houses that day, 1 of which I adored, 1 of which Scott adored, and the other three were meh…But out of all 5, only one of the houses fit our requirements.
Scott’s favorite. I only realized this after a few tears and a little bit of anxiety. Buying a house is scary!
After a week to think about our decision, I was on board as well. It just made the most sense for both of us.
We made an offer and after some negotiating, it was accepted! As of now, we’re in the inspection phase(happened yesterday). The inspection came back decent with a few concerns but not something we’re running away from, so that’s a good thing. Next step, we’re hopeful that the builder will fix some of the issues and then we’ll be on to closing!
Closing should be July 30th and the move will happen between July 31st-Aug 3rd. That is IF everything goes according to plan! Prayers are accepted and appreciated. :)
A few reasons why this house won us over:
- It’s still in Austin…At first Scott wanted to buy in an area like Spicewood or Dripping Springs. I wasn’t quite ready to make such a drastic move. This house is just far enough for Scott, and just close enough for me…The perfect compromise!
- A large lot with well developed trees.
- There’s a perfect spot for the smoker.
- ~2300 sqft
- Updated house…I typically like older homes, but the brand new feeling of the house is a great feeling! I love that no one has lived in it.
- An island in the kitchen, good storage space, a mudroom, an outdoor deck on the back of our room and we get to pick our appliances.
- The house is located on a road less traveled and backs to a bird sanctuary which makes it incredibly peaceful. Also, the bird sanctuary is owned by the Travis Audubon Society which means no other houses will ever be developed behind us.
- Access to Lake Austin…I guess this means we’ll have to get a boat ;)
- No HOA